John's Blog

The Blog of John Gibson, PhD

"Are there problems you don't treat?"

As I've said on other pages of this website, I am a psychologist who specializes in working with adults. People see me for various kinds of problems, but most often this means anxiety problems, depression, and relationship concerns.

But there are services and problems that are outside of the scope of my practice.

I no longer do psychological testing (though I sometimes use self-report inventories as part of my therapy practice). This means I do not provided testing for Attention-Deficit-Hyperactivity-Disorder, nor do I provide neuropsychological assessments.

I do not offer forensic services, meaning that if you need an assessment for legal proceedings of any kind I am not the person to see. For instance, I do not do custody evaluations and I do not voluntarily testify in court. There are psychologists who do this for a living. I am not one of them.

If you have a serious mental illness (e.g., schizophrenia, or another psychotic disorder), I not the person to see. I have worked with people with these diagnoses in the past, but in my experience these types of problems are better served in a larger clinic or agency setting, not a private practice.

I do not offer substance abuse treatment. I do, however, distinguish problematic drinking from true addiction. I work with the former but not the latter. I understand the distinction between these two problems is tricky to define, and frankly open to interpretation, but so be it. If you have a problem with substances but aren't sure if I'm the right practitioner for you, feel free to call me and we'll discuss it. (Hint: It's one thing to say you drink too much or too often; it's another thing if your body can't live without the alcohol, lest you go into withdrawal.) (Obviously substance use is not limited to alcohol, and we can become addicted to things other than substances. But these issues are complicated enough that it may be easier to discuss them in a quick phone consult than to discuss them here.)

Finally, I do not prescribe medications. Psychologists do not have prescription privileges in the state of Michigan. They do in some states, just not ours.

If you'd like to know the kinds problems I do help people with, check out either the
Approach page or the About page.

Made in RapidWeaver